I think that I can safely say that making my own bias tape (especially by hand, without any tool to assist in folding the bias strips) is another of my less favored parts of sewing so far. I have spent hours over the past two days learning how to stitch the bias strips together so the seams are always on the right side and always face the same direction.
Just now, I finished pressing the bias tape for my real version of the Sorbetto top, which is all finished except for the neck and arms (hence the need for bias tape). It is looking good. The fabric I chose is a nice, very thin purple cotton. It drapes beautifully, giving me the most flattering fit on the Sorbetto (or any top) that I’ve had so far. I’ve got a couple cute bone-colored buttons that I think I’ll add to the pleat for a bit of visual interest. I’m eager to finish it and wear it around the apartment.
Alas, it’s sleeveless and NYC is now too cold for me to wear it outside. I’ll have to enjoy it privately, or else wear it under a nice toasty wool jacket.
One thing I have learned from the Sorbetto is how much I prefer the bias tape finish to the facings that I’ve had to use for the other tops I’ve made. So, in return for the discomfort of making this stuff, there is the benefit of not having to deal with flippy floppy facings. I’m sure it will be more than worth it–especially once I get a better method of folding the tape.